I narrowly averted a serious problem on a client’s server today. I got an alert from the server that the C: drive was down to about 50 MB of free space (and falling). That’s very bad.
It turned out that the problem was caused by an expanding log file created by Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. I’ve updated my WSS-on-SBS instructions to acknowledge the problem and point people toward the fix, but I don’t have step-by-step instructions for fixing (or better yet, preventing) the problem quite yet.
If there’s another WSS-on-SBS’er who’s already got a fix for this and who wouldn’t mind contributing to the instructions so I don’t have to write them up from scratch, I’d love to hear from you.