I wrote earlier about problems I was having configuring Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager to use a database on my server rather than on my own workstation. Even after dealing with the typo in the instructions, I couldn’t get Outlook to detect the presence of my database on the server. I was really confused, because I had no trouble connecting to the database using Access.Â So I knew the database was there on the server,Â ready and able to communicate.
With the help of Vikas Madan at Microsoft, I finally found the problem. I had created the shared database with a beta version of Outlook 2007 with BCM. In the meantime, though, I had started using the final version of Outlook 2007 on my PC. It turns out the final version of OutlookÂ won’t talk to a beta-version database.
After I used the correct SQL script from the whitepaper to migrate the database from beta to finalÂ AND ran the db_sharedusers.sql script –Â don’t overlook that second step!!Â –Â I was able to connect my Outlook client to the shared database.
Now I just have to learn how to use the program. No sweat. 8^)